"I am 3/4ths Canadian, and one 4th New Englander - I had ancestors on both sides in the Revolutionary war." - Elizabeth Bishop
____________________________________________

Monday, March 18, 2019

Film-maker Barbara Hammer dies at 79

This morning I heard that pioneering film-maker Barbara Hammer recently died. The EB world knows her from her 2015 film "Welcome to This House," her documentary about Bishop's life, focused mostly on Brazil. Barbara visited Great Village and the EB House to do research for this film and I had the privilege of meeting her. Her film screened at the Atlantic Film Festival in September of that year, and I had the honour of speaking briefly at that event. Barbara was a prolific and daring artist who championed many causes. Her legacy is lasting. My heartfelt sympathy and condolances to her family and friends who have lost a vibrant and expressive presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment