"I am 3/4ths Canadian, and one 4th New Englander - I had ancestors on both sides in the Revolutionary war." - Elizabeth Bishop
____________________________________________

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Overheard at No. 39, Newbury Street --

"Madame has lost her mother's watch? Of course it could never be replaced, but perhaps we can... Ah, I understand completely. This bezel phobia... If Madame were in New York and this were Tiffany's I would pronounce the whole tragic situation hopeless from the beginning... as hopeless as expecting a miracle for breakfast... But Madame is, fortunately, in Boston and has had the wisdom to apply to Shreve, Crump, and Low, an entirely different sort of firm, for a solution... If Madame would care to consider this, perhaps?"...
[In early December, 1975, I went to Shreve, Crump, and Low's to find a present for my parents' silver wedding anniversary. Although my budget was extremely limited and my coat more than shabby, I was treated like royalty, and I've never forgotten it. I should also perhaps note that the salesperson back in 1975 spoke a less stuffy variety of English than the caricature I've adduced here, and that no invidious comparisons of cities or firms were made... --JB]

No comments:

Post a Comment